Pages

Friday 10 October 2008

St Peters Church, Brixham

The postman delivered these great photos of our Church in Brixham, St Peter the Fisherman. It was deconsecrated as a church 31 years ago and half was turned not so sympathetically into 3 flats and our part was intended to be a craft center. However the owner fell ill and this never materialised. Christian and I found it up for sale back in April this year and after visiting we ended up purchasing quite possibly the biggest project we will every undertake. When Christian and I first meet some 9 years ago we went for a tour around Devon and stumbled upon Brixham. It was here that I decided that this was the man I would marry and it seemed fate when this Church came up for sale. My fathers name is also Peter and Brixham is a fishing town, Christian is a son of a Fisherman.
The Brixham museum has been searching for information and photos on the church in their archives and this parcel of interesting bits arrived today. The statue of St Peter was removed and now resides in the All Saints Church, Brixham but the windows and various other items were sold off by the church, apparently much was shipped to buyers in America. I now have the challenge of finding a sculptor who can make a replica of the statue St Peter so I can put him back to watch over the town again. If you know of such a company or person who makes replicas please do email me
Interior of St Peter's 1956. We are having a meeting with conservation shortly to go over our plans to turn this unloved building into a home. Fingers crossed, I do hope that they will be able to see that we want to save this building and retain its remaining features. If you look at posts from April and May you will be able to see photos of the interior as it sadly stands at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I wanted to know what happened to your project. I have noticed this church is for sale again. Look forward to hearing all about the project. Thanks, Miranda