Pages

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Quest for an Armoire









I found this old wardrobe months ago an it's been sitting on the corner of the garage nagging at me every time I walked by. I want an armoire to sit out on the verandah at our new home to keep the outside space cushions, garden games and other items and thought this would be perfect when I first saw it.

So Christian and I decided to tackle it a couple of weekends ago. Because the opening was just the small middle door which the mirror had been broken I thought that we should cut the doors off in one complete piece, divide them into two and then hinge them back on. This would allow easy access and I can then store cushions and games in it so with a hand saw we carefully sawed all the way around. Once the front section was free we then had to build a new support frame so the wardrobe could stand up.

We added some shelve brackets and slats for the shelving before starting to sand and paint, I chose a Weather Shield exterior paint which has an undercoat incorporated and the colour 'Surfmist'.
The little details of the wood carvings and the original handle add a vintage touch, I have just one more coat to do and then Christian will hang the doors on, I am looking forward to seeing it finished soon.



1 comment:

Fabulously French said...

I cannot wait to see the finished result :-)

Leeann x